Thursday, June 8, 2017

How To Make A TV Stand Cabinet Out Of Old Doors




The first door I started off with was 78- 1/4 x 29 15/16.  
The second door 78-1/4 x 29-15/16

*Keep In Mind* All my measurements are based on that door size.  Finding an old door exactly the same as mine might not be super easy, but you can adjust all the measurements and cuts to work with your size door.  A general  rule of thumb is reclaimed materials will not always be square/true, so use all these measurements as a rough guide not a hard fact.  What you are working with will be different then what I worked with.  Contact us on our Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqKCuJ4_6T4H_3ZOPSPANHg page with questions.  Using this blog and our accompanying Youtube videos of the build process shows all the steps.








 
I cut the bottom half off the door at 29 inches.  From there I cut that 29 inch piece in half at 14-1/2 inches. then l ripped both side even to 14-1/4 inches.  At this point you should have two panels that will become the sides.



My second door started out at 78- 1/4 x 29 - 15/16.  This door will become the top and the bottom.  I trimmed 1-1/2 inch off one side and 3-1/2 inch off the other to keep the symmetry of the door.  From there I ripped the door at 15-1/8 this piece will become my top.  The second piece is now 14-1/4 wide.  I trimmed one end at 1-3/8 inch and the other at 1-1/2 inch to get my base to 70 1/2 inches.



Once I had my top, bottom, and two sides cut out.  I marked and cut all my dadoes.

Each Side panel:
One 3/4 inch thick, 1/2 deep, and 6-3/4 inch down from the top of the side panel for my shelves
One as thick as my door bottom, 1/2 deep, and 2-1/2 inches up from the bottom of the panel to hold the bottom door

Base:
Two dadoes as thick as my vertical partitions 3/8 deep, centered so the door is cut into three equal pieces

(account for the facet that the center bay will have a dado on either side. So if you cut your dados at exactly center into three equal potions the center bay will be smaller.  I did this on may cabinet it is not a huge deal since you are making the doors for the cabinet as well).

Top:

Two dadoes as thick as my vertical partitions 3/8 deep, centered so the door is cut into three equal pieces and matches the dadoes cut in the base.

Two dadoes 3/4 inches in from the left and right edge, as thick as my side panels, and 1/2 deep. This will receive the side panels.

The two inner vertical pieces were 25 7/16 tall by 13-5/8 wide.  I put a dado on either side on these vertical panels 6-3/4 inch down.  See image below.  Then I cut my three plywood shelves to fit in all the dadoes.

With All the Dadoes in Place I was able to Glue the cabinet together and build my face frame.  I built the face frame with lap joints anywhere the rails and stiles intersected (making as tiny L in the photo).  You can also build a face frame using pocket hole screws.  The Face frame is made out of 3/4 inch poplar and I made the stiles and rails as thick as the panels of my cabinet to allow for more hinge options.  The most important part when installing the face frame is to keep checking for square, the more square your openings are the easier it is to make and install the doors.

After the face frame was installed I made the inset raised panel doors, and finished the piece with two coats of Kilz oil based primer, and two coats of Rustoleum semi-gloss black enamel paint

Part Three : Raised Panel Doors

No comments:

Post a Comment